Tuesday, November 8, 2011

My Experience at the MLA Conference in Duluth, October 12-14, 2011

From Mark J. King of the Cloquet Public Library:

I attended my first Minnesota Library Association conference from October 12 through 14 in Duluth. I knew little about what to expect, other than that it might be a nice break from work as well as an opportunity to meet other librarians and attend some informational sessions. The array of sessions, breakouts, and other unfamiliar offerings looked daunting from the conference website. I knew there would be opportunities to learn, but I did not realize that the conference could well qualify as continuing education. In fact, I was unprepared for the information overload I was to experience over the next three days.

Things began promisingly with Anita Silvey's luncheon keynote address. Her topic—the books that have most influenced children who became leaders in their fields—was one that I've thought a great deal about myself, and I've made lists of those works that made a memorable impression on me. So I immediately related to what Ms. Silvey had to say, and pulled out my notepad (the old-fashioned paper kind) to take notes. Several of the books mentioned were among those on my own personal lists. This was one of the best talks I have ever enjoyed, and I sought out her book as soon as I returned to my library.

The honeymoon was soon over, however, as I began attending the information-laden mini-classes. I took notes on all of them. The "New to the Game" session was dynamic but also overwhelming—it felt more like a test about what I didn't know than an introduction offering explanations that would help guide me through the conference. This first session was certainly challenging.

I felt a little more comfortable in the second session I chose, "Professional Social Media." I knew the basics of Facebook although I don't use it. The session did not overestimate one's familiarity with Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn, and struck just the right balance. I came away with many helpful ideas.

My first day came to an end with the cocktail reception at Fitger's. There, I met two librarians from Canada and was most interesting to compare notes on our libraries and communities.

The first session I attended on Thursday was St. Catherine's professor Joyce Yukawa's excellent presentation on "Empowering Older Adults. I was surprised to learn that her focus was specifically on adults age 84 and older. It is at that age that motor and cognitive skills begin to decline precipitously, she explained. Significantly for libraries, this population will double in the next 20 years. Practical tips were given regarding web design, and a link to her professional website provides access to her handout and PowerPoint presentation.

Being something of a traditionalist, I have been a skeptic when it comes to "gaming" activities in the library. My mind was opened to an extent at the dessert keynote address on "Engagement Through Games" by Scott Nicholson of Syracuse. I especially took notice when he said that a chess club was welcomed in the San Francisco Public Library in 1855. I haven't investigated the websites yet that he referred to but plan to do so. Our library now has X-Box Kinnect, which surprisingly seems to be a plus when it comes to some of the "problem" teens who hang out here. I do plan on looking into further gaming possibilities.

I next attended "Libraries Supporting Job Seekers." We have many unemployed people using our library, and I agree that we need to provide services meeting their needs. One of my responsibilities at the Cloquet Public Library has been to offer beginning computer classes. Judging by the response to these classes, I know how important it is for libraries to step up to the plate with practical offerings.

The presenters spoke of the resistance that they have encountered from the Jobs & Training/Workforce department. I could understand the concerns of Jobs & Training, because it seemed like libraries were trying to do their job. For example, it was recommended that the librarian meet one-on-one with patrons to assess their needs, review their resumes, determine their interviewing skills, etc. It's one thing to be able to provide resources and assist people, and it's another to try to be, not only librarians, but social service workers, job counselors, and the like. The demands being placed on librarians to be all things is a little unsettling. However, I think a balance can be reached, and most of what was presented was indeed something I could see being implemented in a library.

I still have many handout materials to go through before I'll be able to figure out what aspects of the job seekers session I may be able to bring to use here. Some suggestions were as simple as adding links on the library webpage to job-hunting resources and bookmarking job search websites on public computers.

An afternoon session on "The Latest Web 2.0 Tools" was fun and informative. I liked the way many new web technology topics were covered by different librarians. I was excited to find out how easy it is to create a QR Code, and I have already placed one that links to our library's events blog on some of my events posters.

Friday morning brought my final session that I attended, "50 in 60 Book Blast." This was an informative session, especially since I haven't had time to keep up with all of the latest titles (and I'm not involved inordering books).

Finally, the closing luncheon address with writer William Kent Krueger was the most enjoyable moment of the conference to me, along with Anita Silvey's opening address. It occurred to me that what resonated with me with these two speakers is that they are writers and creative people. My own background and aspirations have been along similar lines, whereas the role of librarian is more of a nuts-and-bolts, practical, technically savvy manager. I am learning to become those things and am beginning to see that it is possible to be both. The MLA conference showed me that I don't have to forget my liberal arts and humanities education and interests even as I continue learning new skills and developing in my career as a librarian.

All in all, the three-day conference was very valuable in my professional development. Should I have the opportunity to attend future conferences, I will feel better prepared and more comfortable with the challenging nature of the conference.

No comments:

Post a Comment