Thursday, June 30, 2011

Snapshot from MILE 2011: Emerging Leaders in Changing Times

By Will Richter, MLIS – Grand Rapids Area Library

Organized by the Minnesota Library Association, the MILE 2011 retreat was a special opportunity to join other library professionals from around the state to develop and refine leadership skills necessary in the libraries of tomorrow. A cohort of 25 participants met over the course of four days for guided sessions on topics including goal setting, leadership styles, library advocacy, and career development. Guest panelists included MLA president Robin Ewing and library and non-profit movers and shakers from around Minnesota.

For my part, I found the session on StrengthsFinder 2.0 presented by Bethel University Instructor Nikki Daniels especially helpful. It was exciting to learn how individuals various strengths interact – and how an understanding of this interaction can lead to positive collaborations and a healthy work environment. Another important aspect of the MILE experience is the opportunity to make connections with people from the broader library community. With only one other Arrowhead librarian (Susan Schumacher – Duluth) in the 25 member cohort I had the opportunity to meet many new people. I look forward to working with them as we plan the next MILE institute.

I highly recommend MILE as the best professional development opportunity I have participated in. The sessions were interesting and meaningful to my work as a reference librarian in the public library setting. Also, I look forward to the opportunity to work with a mentor whom I have been paired with by MILE 2011 staff. I am excited about the potential of this ongoing aspect of the Institute and hope my professional growth continues beyond the time constraints of the retreat.

For more information about MILE 2011 e-mail me at: wrichter@arrowhead.lib.mn.us

A special thank you to the North Country Library Cooperative Board for sponsoring my participation at the Minnesota Library Association Institute for Leadership Excellence (MILE 2011).

** Note: Will received a scholarship from North Country Library Cooperative which paid for his registration fee for MILE 2011. Scholarship applications may be obtained by request from NCLC at these contact points for continuing education events or conferences as long as allocated funds are available.

No comments:

Post a Comment