Friday, October 28, 2011

MLA Conference Report #11

From Laurie Slattengren of Duluth Public Library:

I attended the Minnesota Library Association conference on Thursday, October 13, 2011. During the day I was able to attend three workshop sessions, one keynote address and spend time looking at the vendors. The first session I attended was “Empowering Older Adults: Research-based Training for Web Information and Access.” I chose this topic because I currently teach computer classes for an audience that is largely comprised of older adults or seniors. I was hoping to get tips to use in my work with older adults but the presentation focused more on research the presenters had done on the topic than on practical advice.

While I did find some of the information interesting and helpful in my work with older adults, I have been able to find the most value from the resources that are available online through the presenter’s presentation. These include outlines for teaching classes on computer basics, email and Internet, which are three topics I currently teach to the public. These resources will be helpful in further developing the classes I teach.

Next, I attended the panel session on the popular topic of ebooks. I also teach sessions at our library on this topic and I was interested in hearing about how other libraries in Minnesota are dealing with this trend. The panel consisted of several library professionals from around the state giving their opinions and experiences with ebooks in libraries.

The last session I attended was called “Things in a Flash: The Latest web 2.0 Tools.” I found this presentation to be the most interesting and I have already started using some of the featured programs in my life. Some of the programs we learned about are good for productivity (Evernote) while others are just fun (Get Glue). I found it interesting to see how library’s can have a presence on Foursquare (a location application where people can check in to a place on a website) and I now have a better idea of how a library can take advantage of a program like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment